- Elongated octagonal piercework salt with a clear, cobalt blue glass liner. Underside of flat, inset bottom is engraved "DMFC" in conjoined script below six marks struck across center, "MADE IN ENGLAND" in incuse sans serif letters above a set of five marks for the Potosi Silver Co., "P", "S", "C\o." and "EP" (sideways), all in individual squares, and a standing spreadwing bird in shield. One of two salts, 1977.0918.04-.05.
- Maker is Potosi Silver Co., a subsidiary firm of Levi & Salaman of Birmingham, England.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- dish, salt
- date made
- place made
- United Kingdom: England, Birmingham, Birmingham
- Physical Description
- silverplate (holder material)
- glass (liner material)
- overall: 1 1/2 in x 2 in x 1 1/2 in; 3.81 cm x 5.08 cm x 3.81 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.