- Raised bulbous or bellied cann or mug inscribed on front "A. M. Kirkland / to / W. H. Day" in engraved script. Applied reeded molding on the flared rim, rounded bottom, and cast flared circular foot. Hollow, double C-scroll handle has a scrolled acanthus leaf on top and a split scroll lower terminal; short oval struts and attachments. Bottom underside struck at center "C.Wiltberger" in raised roman letters in a conforming surround. No centerpoint. One of two canns, DL*60.3903A-B.
- Maker is Christian Wiltberger (1766-1851) of Philadelphia, PA; working by 1793 (when partnership with Samuel Alexander dissolved) until 1817.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- ca 1795
- place made
- United States: Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
- Physical Description
- silver (overall material)
- overall: 5 1/8 in x 4 7/8 in x 3 in; 13.0175 cm x 12.3825 cm x 7.62 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Gift of Colonel William E. Shipp
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.