- Equal-arm beam balance with a circular pivot center hook, piercework pointer, and flat, slightly swelled and tapered arms terminating in smaller circular pivots with hanging holes. Both arms struck on both sides with "J.M.DOW" at left and "N.YORK" at right, all in raised roman letters in rectangles. Beam only; no stand, hooks or pans.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- beam balance
- Object Type
- date made
- ca 1830
- place made
- United States: New York, New York City
- Physical Description
- brass (overall material)
- overall: 1 in x 15 in x 5 3/8 in; 2.54 cm x 38.1 cm x 13.6525 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Credit Line
- Gift of John Paul Remensnyder
- See more items in
- Home and Community Life: Domestic Life
- Domestic Furnishings
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.
Note: Comment submission is temporarily unavailable while we make improvements to the site. We apologize for the interruption. If you have a question relating to the museum's collections, please first check our Collections FAQ. If you require a personal response, please use our Contact page.