- Japanned, dome-top box with scrolled hasp lock on front, circular wire ring handle on top, and two hinges at back. Box front is painted with a right-leaning sprig of two red tuliplike flowers with yellow-dotted centers surrounded by four stems of red and blue buds, two long and two short, all with alizarin and white overtones; and by white-veined, smooth- and serrated-edge green leaves and green, yellow, and translucent white leaflets. Box sides each have a four-arm, red-and-green pinwheel; thin yellow and thick red bands border lid top. Three-piece lid has a wire-rolled rim. Three-piece box has a top edge folded with wire bead below and a flat bottom. Tinned interior. No marks.
- Attributed to the New York Filley Tinshop, started by Augustus Filley (1789-1845), of Lansingburgh, NY, circa 1814-1870.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- ca 1814 - 1870
- place made
- United States: New York, Lansingburgh
- Physical Description
- tinned sheet iron (overall material)
- iron wire (rims; handle material)
- asphaltum (exterior decoration material)
- paint (exterior decoration material)
- overall: 5 in x 8 3/8 in x 3 5/8 in; 12.7 cm x 21.2725 cm x 9.2075 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.