- Japanned dome-top box with scrolled hasp lock on front, circular wire ring handle on top, and two hinges at back. Box front is painted with two different red crab flowers, both highlighted by white and alizarin overstrokes, that are perched on red stems with green and yellow leaflets. Yellow streamers form a butterfly-shape around the handle; a yellow rope border is on the lid front. Sides of lid and box feature a large yellow brushwork motif. Three-piece lid has a wire-rolled rim. Three-piece box has a top edge folded with wire bead below and a flat bottom. No marks.
- Attributed to the Aaron Butler Tinshop on Brandy Hill, East Greenville, NY, 1824-1855.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- 1824 - 1855
- place made
- United States: New York, East Greenville
- Physical Description
- tinned sheet iron (overall material)
- iron wire (rims; handle material)
- asphaltum (exterior decoration material)
- paint (exterior decoration material)
- overall: 5 3/8 in x 8 3/4 in x 5 1/4 in; 13.6525 cm x 22.225 cm x 13.335 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.