- Japanned, dome-top box with scrolled hasp lock on front, circular wire ring handle on top and two hinges at back. Box front is painted with a right-leaning sprig of three, fan-shaped, red flowers and pairs of buds, all overpainted with shaded or fingered-off blue-to-white; white-veined, serrated-edge, green leaf at center surrounded by green, yellow, and translucent white leaflets. Box sides have a four-arm, red-and-green, X-shaped pinwheel. Lid top has a yellow leafy wreath around handle and is bordered by thin yellow and thick green bands; a red line is on the lid front and sides. Three-piece lid has a wire-rolled rim. Three-piece box has a folded top edge with wire bead below and a flat bottom. Tinned interior. No marks.
- Attributed to the New York Filley Tinshop, started by Augustus Filley (1789-1945), of Lansingburgh, NY, circa 1814-1870.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- ca 1814 - 1870
- Physical Description
- tinned sheet iron (overall material)
- iron wire (rims; handle material)
- asphaltum (exterior decoration material)
- paint (exterior decoration material)
- overall: 5 7/8 in x 9 in x 4 3/4 in; 14.9225 cm x 22.86 cm x 12.065 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Credit Line
- Gift of Mrs. John H. Murray
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.