- Cold handle, double-point iron with removable or detachable arched wood grip, oval in section. Maker, place manufactured and size "2" are cast in top plate screwed to body. Handle ends are attached to a horizontal base with locking mechanism topped by a wood button knop; "31" cast in underside of base.
- Handle is interchangeable with DL.314637.0067 (larger size "2" iron) and DL.314637.0072 (smaller size "1" iron).
- Maker is iron castings manufacturer A. C. Williams Company of Chagrin Falls and Ravenna, OH; 1886-present (now Lite Metals Company, specializing in magnesium and aluminum castings). Named for Adam Clark Williams and successor firm to J. W. Williams Co. (started by Adam's father, John Wesley Williams, in 1844) and J. W. Williams & Son (after Adam joined the business in 1870). Operations were located in Chagrin Falls, OH, until fires in 1889 and 1892 prompted move to Ravenna, OH, in 1892.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- 1886 - 1892
- A. C. Williams Company
- place made
- United States: Ohio, Chagrin Falls
- Physical Description
- iron, cast (overall material)
- walnut (handle, knop material)
- overall: 5 1/4 in x 6 5/8 in x 3 3/8 in; 13.335 cm x 16.8275 cm x 8.5725 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Bequest of Edith R. Meggers
- Household Tools and Equipment
- See more items in
- Cultural and Community Life: Domestic Life
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.