- Small, fixed handle, pointed-toe iron with size "2" and maker name cast in top of body. Wire handle has baluster block grip and S-curve or gooseneck sides individually attached into domed bases or sockets.
- Maker is Downs & Co. of Seneca Falls, NY. Abel Downs began manufacturing wooden pumps in 1840 and all-cast iron pumps by the end of the decade; the business went through a series of partnerships until 1852, when Downs and Seabury S. Gould became the sole proprietors. Name changed to Downs & Co.'s Manufacturing Co. in 1862 and to Gould's Manufacturing Co. in 1868. ITT Industries acquired Goulds Pumps in 1997; still in operation.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- 1852 - 1868
- place made
- United States: New York, Seneca Falls
- Physical Description
- iron, cast (overall material)
- overall: 4 in x 4 1/4 in x 2 3/4 in; 10.16 cm x 10.795 cm x 6.985 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Bequest of Mrs. Edith R. Meggers
- Household Tools and Equipment
- See more items in
- Cultural and Community Life: Domestic Life
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.