- Japanned, dome-top box with scrolled hasp lock on front, circular wire ring handle on top, and two hinges at back; asphaltum ground almost entirely gone from lid and upper part of box. Box front is painted with a right-leaning sprig of two, red, lobed-fanlike flowers with blue centers on a green stem with white-veined, serrated-edge green leaves; similarly-colored buds perch on green and yellow leaflets. Lid top and box sides each have a four-arm, red-and-green pinwheel; thin red and thick blue-green bands border lid top. Three-piece lid has a wire-rolled rim. Three-piece box has a top edge folded with a wire bead below and a flat bottom. Tinned interior. No marks.
- Attributed to the New York Filley Tinshop, started by Augustus Filley (1789-1945), of Lansingburgh, NY, circa 1814-1870.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- ca 1814 - 1870
- place originally made
- United States: New York, Lansingburgh
- Physical Description
- tinned sheet iron (overall material)
- iron wire (rims; handle material)
- asphaltum (exterior decoration material)
- paint (exterior decoration material)
- overall: 5 1/8 in x 8 1/4 in x 4 in; 13.0175 cm x 20.955 cm x 10.16 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.