- Dinner knife. Straight steel blade with rounded tip. Blade and bolster are one piece of steel fitted into a conical horn handle with a pointed iron pommel. Blade is scratched, discolored, and has some rust spots. Horn is scratched, with crack on one side near bolster.
- Blade is stamped: “W. R/HUMPHREYS&COMPY/CUTLERS SHEFFIELD”
- Maker is W. R. Humphreys & Company, active ca 1875-present in Sheffield, England.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- knife, dinner
- Object Type
- Other Terms
- Knife, Dinner; Cutlery
- date made
- 1875- 1890
- place made
- United Kingdom: England, Sheffield, Sheffield
- Physical Description
- horn (handle material)
- metal, steel (overall material)
- metal, iron (pommel material)
- overall: 1 1/8 in x 9 3/8 in x 1 in; 2.8575 cm x 23.8125 cm x 2.54 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.