- Dessert knife. Straight steel blade with rounded tip. Blade and bolster are one piece of steel fitted into a block bone handle with a blunt butt. Tang is held in place with a single brass pin. Blade is scratched, discolored, with some small rust spots. Bone is crazed and yellowed, with long crack on one side.
- Blade is stamped: “X L N T/MOULSON BROTHERS/UNION WORKS. SHEFFIELD”
- “X L N T” is the trademark for Adolph Kastor & Brothers, a wholesaler and importer active 1876-ca 1947 in New York, New York.
- Maker is the Moulson Brothers, active 1828-1912 in Sheffield, England.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- knife, dessert
- Object Type
- Other Terms
- Knife, Dessert; Cutlery
- date made
- ca 1880
- Moulson Brothers
- place made
- United Kingdom: England, Sheffield, Sheffield
- Physical Description
- bone (handle material)
- metal, steel (overall material)
- metal, brass (pin material)
- overall: 3/8 in x 8 3/8 in x 3/4 in;.9525 cm x 21.2725 cm x 1.905 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.