- Dinner knife. Straight steel blade with rounded tip. Blade and bolster are one piece fitted into the top of a square block ivory handle with rounded butt. Scratched and discolored overall, yellowed ivory, deep crack down center of handle.
- Blade is stamped: “V R/JOSEPH RODGERS & SONS/CUTLERS TO HER MAJESTY”; with their trademark, the Maltese cross and star.
- Maker is Joseph Rodgers & Sons, active 1682-1971 in Sheffield, England.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- knife, dinner
- Object Type
- Other Terms
- Knife, Dinner; Cutlery
- date made
- 1837- 1890
- Joseph Rodgers & Sons
- place made
- United Kingdom: England, Sheffield, Sheffield
- Physical Description
- ivory (handle material)
- metal, steel (overall material)
- overall: 1/2 in x 9 7/8 in x 7/8 in; 1.27 cm x 25.0825 cm x 2.2225 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.