- Table knife. Straight steel blade with rounded tip. Blade and bolster are one piece of steel with tang, fitted into an ivory handle with rounded sides and butt. Metal and ivory are both scratched and discolored. Minor spots of rust on blade. Fine cracks in ivory.
- Blade is stamped: “WIDDOWSON & VEALE/73 STRAND LONDON”
- Handle is marked in black, old English: “J”
- Widdowson & Veale was the dealer, founded circa 1835, active in London, England.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- knife, table
- Object Type
- Other Terms
- Knife, Table; Cutlery
- date made
- before 1890
- place made
- United Kingdom: England, London
- Physical Description
- ivory (handle material)
- metal, steel (overall material)
- overall: 9/16 in x 10 3/16 in x 7/8 in; 1.42875 cm x 25.87625 cm x 2.2225 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.