- Dessert knife. Straight steel blade with rounded tip and “yankee” style bolster. Blade and bolster are one piece of steel with tang, inserted into tapered bone handle with rounded sides and butt. Tang is held in place with steel pin through side. Metal is discolored, rusted, bone is yellowed, crazed, and has long crack down one side.
- Blade is engraved: “DERBY SILVER CO” over an anchor.
- Maker is Derby Silver Company, active 1873-1933 in Connecticut.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Object Type
- Other Terms
- Knife, Dessert; Cutlery
- date made
- 1880 - 1900
- Derby Silver Co.
- Landers, Frary & Clark
- place made
- United States: Connecticut, Derby
- Physical Description
- bone (handle material)
- metal, steel (overall material)
- overall: 3/8 in x 8 1/4 in x 3/4 in;.9525 cm x 20.955 cm x 1.905 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.