- Dinner knife. Straight steel blade with rounded tip and chamfered bolster. Blade and bolster are one piece of steel with tang fitted into ivory handle with rounded corners, carved sides, and rounded butt. Tang is held in place with steel pin. Blade is scratched and stained, ivory is yellowed and crazed.
- Blade is etched: “J. RUSSELL & CO/1834/GREEN RIVER WORKS” within double diamond.
- Maker is John Russell & Company, Turner Falls, Massachusetts, 1834-present.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- knife, dinner
- Object Type
- date made
- ca 1834
- place made
- United States: Massachusetts
- Physical Description
- ivory (handle material)
- metal, steel (overall material)
- overall: 1/2 in x 9 5/8 in x 7/8 in; 1.27 cm x 24.4475 cm x 2.2225 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.