- Dessert knife, with matching dinner knife (see 1986.531.183), silver-plated steel. Straight blade with rounded tip and “yankee” style bolster, cast as one piece of steel with long ovoid-loop handle. Plate is worn and tarnished, heavily scratched
- Blade is stamped: “LAMSON & GOODNOW MFG CO/PATENTED. FEBY. 25. 1868”
- Unable to locate the referenced patent, further research is needed.
- Maker is Lamson & Goodnow Company, a manufacturer and wholesaler active in Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts 1844-present.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- knife, dessert
- Object Type
- date patented
- Lamson & Goodnow
- place made
- United States: Massachusetts, Shelburne Falls
- Physical Description
- metal, silver-plated (overall material)
- metal, steel (overall material)
- overall: 3/8 in x 8 5/8 in x 3/4 in;.9525 cm x 21.9075 cm x 1.905 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.