- Carving knife. Straight steel blade with drop point tip is one piece with tang. Iron bolster is attached with single steel pin. Bone scales are riveted to tang with brass pins to form a tapered block handle with chamfered sides and rounded butt. Scratched overall with heavy rusting particularly on bolster. Bone is yellowed and heavily crazed. Scales are loose. Brass is beginning to corrode.
- Blade is stamped; [Illegible/worn]REGAN & COMPANY/COLUMBIA WORKS SHEFFIELD”; with heavily faded crown and “F” above.
- Maker is Marvel Regan & Company (Trademark Columbia Works), active in Sheffield, England circa 1880.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- knife, carving
- Object Type
- Other Terms
- Knife, Carving; Cutlery
- date made
- ca 1880
- place made
- United Kingdom: England, Sheffield, Sheffield
- Physical Description
- bone (scales material)
- metal, steel (overall material)
- metal, iron (bolster material)
- metal, brass (pins material)
- overall: 1/2 in x 12 7/8 in x 1 in; 1.27 cm x 32.7025 cm x 2.54 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.