This cornet was made by an unknown maker in the United States or possibly France, around 1872-1878.
It is a B-flat cornet made of brass with 3 Périnet piston valves and accessioned with a period wooden coffin case (trapezoidal) and accessories.
Périnet valves are named after inventor François Périnet who patented this type of brass instrument valve in 1839. The three Périnet valves in combination can provide full range of chromatic possibilities.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- Physical Description
- brass (overall material)
- overall: 13 in x 5 in x 6 3/4 in; 33.02 cm x 12.7 cm x 17.145 cm
- overall: 13 1/16 in x 6 3/4 in x 4 13/16 in; 33.17875 cm x 17.145 cm x 12.22375 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- See more items in
- Cultural and Community Life: Musical Instruments
- Music & Musical Instruments
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History