- This is a large counter balance in an olive green metal case with gold trim, and circular platform. The inscriptions on the back read “DETROIT AUTOMATIC SCALE CO. / DETROIT, MICH” and “Detroit.” A brass tag reads “PATENTED / APRIL 24TH 1900 MAY 19TH 1903 / SEP. 27TH 1904 / MODEL NO. 120 CAP 24 LBS / SCALE NO. 1201470.” Another reads "BALANCE / SCALE / REMOVE / THIS PLATE / NO. 120147,0."
- The Detroit Automatic Scale Co. was in business, as such, from 1912 to 1921. The patents referenced here had been assigned to the Computing Scale Co. of Dayton, Ohio.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- computing scale, drum chart
- Object Type
- date made
- Detroit Automatic Scale Company
- place made
- United States: Michigan, Detroit
- overall: 87.5 cm x 47 cm x 61 cm; 34 7/16 in x 18 1/2 in x 24 in
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Gift of City of New York
- Weights & Measures
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Chemistry
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.