- This large counter balance has a gold finish, cylindrical scale, and oval glass commodity plate. The word “STIMPSON” appears in large painted letters near the top.
- Walter Franklin Stimpson (1870-1942) obtained a U.S. patent (#543,323) for a computing scale on July 23, 1895. This example was probably made by the Stimpson Computing Scale Co., in Louisville, Ky., in the 1920s.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Object Type
- date made
- Stimpson Computing Scale Company
- place made
- United States: Kentucky, Louisville
- overall: 76.2 cm x 47 cm x 56.5 cm; 30 in x 18 1/2 in x 22 1/4 in
- overall: 29 3/8 in x 18 3/8 in x 20 in; 74.6125 cm x 46.6725 cm x 50.8 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Gift of City of New York
- Weights & Measures
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Chemistry
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.