- Mercury-in-glass bath thermometer in a wooden frame, designed for determining the temperature of bath water. The “DR. FORBES SPECIFICATIONS” inscription on the paper label refers to John Forbes (1787-1861), a Scottish physician who recommended therapeutic bathing.
- Ref: John Forbes, et. al., The Cyclopaedia of Practical Medicine (London, 1833), vol. 1, p. 260.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Other Terms
- Diagnostic Medicine
- overall: 1 in x 9 7/8 in x 1 1/8 in; 2.54 cm x 25.0825 cm x 2.8575 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Medicine
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.