- Swan-shaped ear trumpet made of metal with an ivory tip. The form was sometimes termed a London hearing dome and sometimes a grand opera dome.
- Ref: Irving Wilson Voorhees, “Mechanical Aids to Hearing” in Thomas Lathrop Steadman, ed., A Reference Handbook of the Medical Sciences (New York, 1915), vol. 5, p. 45.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- hearing aid, ear trumpet
- Other Terms
- date made
- Late 19th Century
- place made
- United Kingdom: England
- Associated Place
- United States: New York, New York City
- overall: 7 cm x 10 cm; 2 3/4 in x 3 15/16 in
- overall: 1 3/8 in x 4 in x 3 in; 3.4925 cm x 10.16 cm x 7.62 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Medicine
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.