- Tonsillotome with an ivory handle and a “Charrier a Paris” inscription. The form was designed by Al-fred-Armand-Louis-Marie Velpeau (1795-1867), a prominent surgeon and anatomist in Paris. In French it was termed an amygdalotome.
- Ref: Charrier, Catalogue d’Instruments (Paris, 1855), p. 42.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- surgical instrument
- Other Terms
- date made
- about 1860
- about 1870
- Charriere, Joseph
- overall: 8.5 cm x 2.8 cm x 27.8 cm; 3 11/32 in x 1 3/32 in x 10 15/16 in
- overall: 1 in x 11 in x 3 1/4 in; 2.54 cm x 27.94 cm x 8.255 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Medicine
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.