- Patent model for Basil Manly Wilkerson, “Dental Plate,” U.S. Patent 207,699 (Sept. 3, 1878).
- Wilkerson (1842-1910) was a native of Alabama who served in the Confederate Army. Moving to Maryland after the Civil War, he graduated from the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery and the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Baltimore and taught in both institutions. Among his several patents, the most notable were for a dental chair and a dental drill.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- denture, patent model
- dental device
- Other Terms
- denture: 5/8 in x 1 3/8 in x 1 1/2 in; 1.5875 cm x 3.4925 cm x 3.81 cm
- patent cards: 1/16 in x 3 in x 2 7/8 in;.15875 cm x 7.62 cm x 7.3025 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- patent number
- catalog number
- Credit Line
- Gift of Columbia University School of Dental and Oral Surgery
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Medicine
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.