- The "B. Pike & Son. N. York" and "Warranted" inscriptions on this surveyor's compass refers to a firm that was in business during the years 1831–1841 and 1843–1849. Benjamin Pike Jr. advertised compasses of this sort, with a 6–inch needle and level vials on each arm, for $28 and $32.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Surveyor's Compass
- B. Pike & Son
- place made
- United States: New York, New York City
- overall length: 14 5/8 in; 37.1475 cm
- needle: 6 in; 15.24 cm
- overall: 2 15/16 in x 15 1/4 in x 8 in; 7.46125 cm x 38.735 cm x 20.32 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.