- This waywiser has a counter attached to the axle instead of the customary dial. The box behind the wheel can be used to hold supplies. The U. S. Geological Survey was established in 1879, and transferred this instrument to the Smithsonian in 1907.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- late nineteenth century
- overall: waywiser: 32 in x 63 in x 21 in; 81.28 cm x 160.02 cm x 53.34 cm
- overall: rod: 1 5/8 in x 27 1/4 in x 1 5/8 in; 4.1275 cm x 69.215 cm x 4.1275 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Transfer from U.S. Geological Survey
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.