- This alidade belonged to Columbia University. Its vertical arc, which extends 35 degrees either way, is graduated to 30 minutes and read by vernier to 2 minutes. The base has a skeletal structure, making it light and stiff. There is a separate striding level and trough compass. The "BUFF & BERGER BOSTON 2157" inscription refers to a firm that traded, as such, from 1871 to 1898.
- Ref: Buff & Berger, Hand-Book and Illustrated Catalogue of the Engineers' and Surveyors' Instruments (Boston, 1890), p. 104b.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- Buff & Berger
- place made
- United States: Massachusetts, Boston
- telescope: 17 in; 43.18 cm
- overall: 5 in x 22 3/4 in x 10 1/4 in; 12.7 cm x 57.785 cm x 26.035 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Columbia University
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.