- This alidade has an inverting telescope, striding level, vertical arc reading 30 degrees each way, and separate trough compass. It is part of a complete plane table outfit that Keuffel & Esser described "as made for the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey" and sold for $175. The Survey acquired this example in 1893. The inscriptions read “KEUFFEL & ESSER CO. NEW YORK CHICAGO 2447" and "U.S.C.&G.S. No. 91.”
- Ref: Keuffel & Esser, Catalogue (New York, 1906), p. 408.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- alidade (telescopic)
- Keuffel & Esser Co.
- telescope: 10 in; 25.4 cm
- objective; aperture: 1 in; 2.54 cm
- overall in case: 5 5/8 in x 13 5/16 in x 8 5/16 in; 14.2875 cm x 33.81375 cm x 21.11375 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.