- The U.S. Weather Bureau transferred this instrument to the Smithsonian in 1904. A brass tag on the upper band of frame reads "U. S. WEATHER BUREAU / RAIN GAUGE REGISTER / NO. 13 / MADE BY / JULIEN P. FRIEZ / BALTIMORE MD." The inner brass tube is stamped "U.S.W.B."
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Rain Gauge
- overall: 31 1/4 in x 14 in; 79.375 cm x 35.56 cm
- overall; inner brass tube: 20 3/16 in x 2 5/8 in; 51.27625 cm x 6.6675 cm
- overall; measuring stick, each: 24 in x 9/16 in x 1/8 in; 60.96 cm x 1.42875 cm x.3175 cm
- overall; nameplate: 1 9/16 in x 2 3/4 in; 3.96875 cm x 6.985 cm
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Physical Sciences
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.