- Description (Brief)
- 'L' lever with tapered square shank, threaded on the end. Spoon handle.
- In August 2022, staff in the curatorial Division of Work and Industry discovered the provenance for this and other identified objects as, related to Nazi-era activities. Keywords included “distressed shipment,” “1940,” and “Germany.” Upon this discovery, staff reached out to partner organizations in Washington, D.C. and Germany to identify previous owners and better understand the nature of the transactions. Efforts to identify the original owners and contact next of kin are ongoing. These objects were shipped from Germany in March of 1940 aboard the Deutschland and were seized in New York City by U.S. Customs where they were “voluntarily abandoned” by the receiver due to insufficient documentation. They were subsequently transferred to the Smithsonian Institution in May of 1940. Curators at the time reached out to the intended recipient for further information, with no reply.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Other Terms
- Handle; Door
- Physical Description
- metal, iron (overall material)
- overall: 3 3/4 in x 3 3/4 in; 9.525 cm x 9.525 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- See more items in
- Work and Industry: Mechanisms
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.