- This is a replica based on an image in Anweisung zum Glas-Schleiffen: wie auch zu Verfertigung derer optischen Machinen (Halle, 1716), a book written by Christian Gottlieb Hertel (1683-1743), a professor of mathematics in Legnica (Liegnitz in German) in Lower Silesia. It is a compound monocular with mirrors to illuminate the object, and a micrometer eyepiece with horsehairs for the grid.
- Ref: Reginald Clay and Thomas Court, The History of the Microscope (London, 1932), pp. 104-106.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- microscope, replica
- date made
- Lucas, Joseph D.
- place made
- United States: Ohio, Cleveland
- overall: 59 cm x 25 cm x 28.5 cm; 23 7/32 in x 9 27/32 in x 11 7/32 in
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Mrs. Joseph D. Lucas
- Science & Scientific Instruments
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.