- A Garland of blue and purple flowers with green leaves frames an oval medallion outlined in yellow and blackMarked, "EXTR TANACETI"
- Urdang attributes the containers 1991.0664.0760 through 1991.0664.0825 to Hanau in the late 18th century based on the floral design surrounding the medallion and the initials HN on the bottom of many of the jars in the series. However, in a letter dated August 1983, the pharmaceutical history scholar Wolfgang-Hagen Hein believes the unmarked containers and those marked FH were made in Florsheim in the German state of Hesse.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Other Terms
- Jar; Pharmaceutical Container
- Date made
- 1775 - 1799
- place made
- Physical Description
- ceramic (overall material)
- overall: 9.1 cm x 7.4 cm; 3 9/16 in x 2 15/16 in
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- collector/donor number
- SAP 685
- Credit Line
- Gift of American Pharmaceutical Association and Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Medicine
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.
Note: Comment submission is temporarily unavailable while we make improvements to the site. We apologize for the interruption. If you have a question relating to the museum's collections, please first check our Collections FAQ. If you require a personal response, please use our Contact page.