- This bronze mortar has a flared rim, beaker-shaped body with six vertical gothic style ribs and a twisted applied handle. A hand written note placed inside mortar reads, "Probably Spanish/ 16th c./ or french". Urdang catalogued this mortar as Germanic, early 15th century.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Other Terms
- mortar; MANUFACTURING & DISPENSING EQUIP.
- Physical Description
- bronze (overall material)
- gothic (overall style)
- overall: 10.2 cm x 13 cm x 12.3 cm; 4 in x 5 1/8 in x 4 13/16 in
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- collector/donor number
- SAP 353
- Credit Line
- Gift of American Pharmaceutical Association and Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- See more items in
- Medicine and Science: Medicine
- European Apothecary
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.
Note: Comment submission is temporarily unavailable while we make improvements to the site. We apologize for the interruption. If you have a question relating to the museum's collections, please first check our Collections FAQ. If you require a personal response, please use our Contact page.