- Beaker-shaped mortar with a flaring mouth and two square handles. The sole ornamentation is the raised numerls 1575 at the waist.
- Urdang believed this mortar to be made from bronze. However, testing with a X-Ray Florescence Spectometer July 15, 2009 reveals a lower precentage of copper and tin indicating the mortar is possibly made from brass and not bronze.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- date made
- Physical Description
- bronze (overall material)
- forged (overall production method/technique)
- overall: 12.5 cm x 13.5 cm x 12.1 cm; 4 15/16 in x 5 5/16 in x 4 3/4 in
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- collector/donor number
- SAP 364
- Credit Line
- Gift of American Pharmaceutical Association and Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.