Computers & Business Machines
Imagine the loss, 100 years from now, if museums hadn't begun preserving the artifacts of the computer age. The last few decades offer proof positive of why museums must collect continuously—to document technological and social transformations already underway.
The museum's collections contain mainframes, minicomputers, microcomputers, and handheld devices. Computers range from the pioneering ENIAC to microcomputers like the Altair and the Apple I. A Cray2 supercomputer is part of the collections, along with one of the towers of IBM's Deep Blue, the computer that defeated reigning champion Garry Kasparov in a chess match in 1997. Computer components and peripherals, games, software, manuals, and other documents are part of the collections. Some of the instruments of business include adding machines, calculators, typewriters, dictating machines, fax machines, cash registers, and photocopiers
- This small desktop electronic calculator has a tan and brown plastic case and an array of twenty-four square plastic keys. These include ten digit keys, a decimal point key, a total key, four arithmetic function keys, three memory keys, a clear/clear memory key, a clear entry key, a percentage key, a square root key, and an off key.
- The eight-digit LCD display is behind the keys. A mark to the right of it reads: Radio Shack (/) LCD MINI-DESKTOP.
- The back of the calculator has a battery pack at the top. A sticker in the middle reads: Radio Shack MODEL NO. (/) EC2003 (/) Uses 2 Type AA Batteries (RS Cat. No. 23-552) (/) Custom manufactured in Hong Kong for Radio Shack (/) A Div of Tandy Corp Ft. Worth TX76102.
- Compare 1986.0988.007, which sold for somewhat more.
- Radio Shack, A Tandy Company, 1983 Catalog No. 354, p. 169, accessed September 22, 2014. The price listed for the calculator is $19.95.
- Radio Shack, A Tandy Company, 1984 Catalog No. 367, p. 167, accessed September 22, 2014. The price listed for the calculator is $14.95.
- Currently not on view
- date made
- Tandy Corporation
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History