Computers & Business Machines
Imagine the loss, 100 years from now, if museums hadn't begun preserving the artifacts of the computer age. The last few decades offer proof positive of why museums must collect continuously—to document technological and social transformations already underway.
The museum's collections contain mainframes, minicomputers, microcomputers, and handheld devices. Computers range from the pioneering ENIAC to microcomputers like the Altair and the Apple I. A Cray2 supercomputer is part of the collections, along with one of the towers of IBM's Deep Blue, the computer that defeated reigning champion Garry Kasparov in a chess match in 1997. Computer components and peripherals, games, software, manuals, and other documents are part of the collections. Some of the instruments of business include adding machines, calculators, typewriters, dictating machines, fax machines, cash registers, and photocopiers
Microcomputer, Google Glass
- The Google Glass, a wearable microcomputer, consists of a silver and black colored headset with an optical display (glass), worn like a pair of glasses. The wearer communicates with the internet via touch and voice commands. Information is displayed on the glass (screen) mounted just above the right eye or it may be read to the wearer. The power button is located on the inner side near the temple. The device is designed with built in camera (for pictures and videos, located on the front next to the glass) and a speaker (located on the inner side of the arm, behind the right ear). The battery is located near the end of the right arm.
- Accessories included are two carrying cases, clear shield with protective case, sun shades with a protective case, power adapter, USB power cord, and nose guards.
- This example was received with a box marked Explorer Edition model no. XE-B.
- It was worn by Google executive Vinton Cerf.
- date made
- ca 2013
- Cerf, Vinton
- Google, Inc.
- ID Number
- model number
- accession number
- catalog number
- maker number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
Filter Your Results
Click to remove a filter: