Friendly staff members in the Office of Audience Engagement's Programs and Audience Development Team are the folks behind the museum's social media and blog. We try to use social media to spark curiosity in our audiences. We aim to create opportunities for learning, develop and maintain long-term relationships with audiences, and facilitate a museum culture in which staff across all departments value audiences who engage with us online. We would love to hear your thoughts on what you'd like to see on our blog and social media! To share your feedback, get in touch on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
Connect with us on social media
Every day, we share interesting history content across a variety of social media sites.
- Facebook: "This day in history" posts, mystery objects, behind-the-scenes stories, and more. Check out our Facebook Events for program information.
- Twitter: Intriguing snippets of history throughout the day. Occasional mystery objects, pop quizzes, and live tweets from collections storage and public programs. Follow our museum director @amhistdirector. Invention fans, see @SI_Invention.
- Instagram: Historic images and photos from the museum, as well as opportunities to see the research, conservation, and program work we do. Our photos on Instagram often spark discussion—join the conversation!
- Want "this day in history" stories without subscribing on social media? We have a website for that.
- Blog: Engaging posts from staff and guest authors focusing on behind-the-scenes research and object stories. Popular themes include food history, pop culture, and World War I. Subscribe by email if you don't want to miss a post.
- E-newsletter: Stay informed about museum activities, events, exhibitions, and more—both online and in the building.
- YouTube: Enjoy Founding Fragments, our behind-the-scenes series focusing on weird objects from Teddy Roosevelt's dead rodent to a women's uniform from World War I.
- Flickr: Eye candy from our in-house photographers, including the arrival of Mr. Peanut to historic hangover cures.