Plan Your Visit
Welcome to the National Museum of American History! The museum’s world class collection of over 1.7 million objects helps tell the complex history of our nation.
The museum is open every day, except December 25, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Admission is free and no tickets are required.
Closings and special notices
- No announcements at this time.
For additional information, see:
- Frequently asked questions about visiting the museum
- Exhibitions on view
- Dining and shopping
The museum is located on the National Mall at Constitution Avenue, N.W., between 12th and 14th Streets, Washington, D.C. View in Google maps.
Museum entrances are located on Constitution Avenue on the first floor and Madison Drive (National Mall) on the second floor. There may be a short wait to enter the building.
Please let us know you are coming by pre-registering your group. Please note that this is not a tour reservation, and you are welcome to visit at any time during public visiting hours without registering.
Masks are not required to visit the museum. Visitors may choose to wear a mask during their visit.
The Smithsonian has safety measures in place to protect the health of our visitors, staff, and volunteers based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local governments. We ask that all visitors, including those who have been vaccinated against COVID-19, follow these safety measures to protect everyone’s health.
What's Available During Your Visit
Currently Available Amenities
- EAT at America’s Table Cafe (Lower Level) open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.; and The Jazz Cafe (1 Center) open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Main Museum Store (1 Center) and Mall Store (2 Center); open 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Learn more about available amenities
PARTIALLY CLOSED Exhibitions
- Wegmans Wonderplace is open Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Draper Spark!Lab is open Wednesday–Saturday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
After Your Visit
- Stay connected with us! @amhistorymuseum on Twitter and Instagram, or sign up for our email newsletter.