The National Numismatic Collection is dedicated to inspiring and educating a new generation of coin and currency enthusiasts.
Numismatic Discovery Cart
During your visit to the museum we hope you will enjoy the Numismatics Discovery Cart outside The Value of Money exhibition. Access to the cart is subject to docent availability.
Currency or Counterfeit?
This hands-on cart will encourage visitors to think like collectors and hone their observation skills as they use sight, smell, touch, and hearing to distinguish counterfeit coins and banknotes from genuine currency, and learn about the ways in which artisans, experts, and even criminals have innovated new ways to make and fake currency from colonial America to the present day.
Visitors engaging with this cart will:
- use their sense of sight, smell, touch, and hearing to observe coins and notes like numismatists, including getting hands-on experience with tools of the trade
- identify different strategies to determine if notes and coins are counterfeit or genuine
- learn numismatic terminology including obverse, reverse, edge, die, and strike
Learning Lab enables you to search the Smithsonian collections, create and personalize your own collections, and share them as you wish. It is an excellent resource for teachers, students, and anyone with an interest in learning.
Groups created by NNC staff:
- Comitia Americana Medals in the National Numismatic Collection
- The National Numismatic Collection's East Asian Currency Highlights
- East Asian Numismatics in 3D!
- Russian Coinage and Grand Duke Georgii Mikhailovich
- Money and Exchange in West Africa
- U.S. Dollars in Liberia
- The National Numismatic Collection's German Notgeld
- Collector and Staff Picks: the Josiah K. Lilly Jr. and Paul A. Straub coin collections
Object of the month
Akan Gold Weight
These brass weights were used by the Akan people of modern day Ghana and the Ivory Coast for measuring gold dust between the late thirteenth and early twentieth centuries. Click here to see the full record!
From the blog
Links to other numismatic resources
o For kids
The British Museum, Department of Coins and Medals
o The Citi Money Gallery Education Programme
Money Makers activity for grades K-4
Designing Money activity for grades K-4
Escape from Barter Islands activity for grades K-4