Profile profile for johnstonpf
- Maritime History, Art and Archaeology
- Motorcycles and Road History
- Integration of a 4,000 object collection from CIGNA Corporation into Smithsonian Collections.
- Shipwreck research on the wreck of the Royal Yacht of Hawaiian King Kamehameha II
- Exhibition research for forthcoming maritime history exhibition
- Principal Investigator for archaeological research on the wreck of the 1846 propeller Indiana, which sank in Lake Superior in 1856
- Great Lakes History Prize, July 1996
- Award of Merit, American Association of Museums 1985 Museum Publications Competition
- Member, Advisory Council on Underwater Archaeology (Chair, 1989-1995)
- Member, Interagency Working Group, US Department of State
- Member, NOAA Monitor Sanctuary Advisory Committee
- Vice Chair, Smithsonian Institution Scientific Diving Control Board
- Bureau Diving Officer, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution
- Corresponding Member, ICOMOS International Committee on Underwater Cultural Heritage
- Chair, Archaeology Committee, Council of American Maritime Museums
- Member, Accreditation Visiting Committee, American Association of Museums
- Member, Underwater Archaeology Committee, Archaeological Institute of America
- Board of Directors, Ships of Discovery
- Advisory Board, U.S. Scientific Committee for the CSS Alabama Project
- Advisory Committee, U.S. Navy H. L. Hunley Shipwreck Project
An edited volume of underwater archaeological research (mostly fieldwork).
A study of some of the world’s earliest ship models.
An exhibition catalog and historical treatment of early and modern regional fisheries.
An exhibition catalog and historical treatment of the origins and development of steamships from the 18th to the 20th centuries.
An overview of the 19th century origins of the Smithsonian’s maritime collections and a discussion of its highlights.
A catalog of Smithsonian ship plans available to the public.
An historical and archaeological synthesis, with an emphasis on the knowledge gained from period shipwrecks.