Profile profile for molellaa
Ph.D., Cornell University, History of Science
B.A., Syracuse University
- History of Technology
- Relations among science, technology and culture
- History of invention and innovation
- History of science and technology museums
- Urban Planning, technology and the Environment
- Places of Invention exhibition
- "Inventing in America," patent exhibition NMAH, with USPTO
- International Ecocities Initiative
- History of World's Fairs and Technoly
- Modernity on Display: World's Fairs in the Era of WW2 (Pittsburgh, in press)
PAST AND RECENT PROJECTS
- Making a Modern Museum exhibition--50th anniversary NMAH
- Nobel Voices international exhibition
- Science in American Life exhibition
- Honorary Doctor of Science, Westminster University, London, UK (2005)
- Society for the History of Technology
- Board, National Academy of Inventors
- Board, National Inventors Hall of Fame
- Board, MIT Museum
- Senior Lecturer, Department of History of Science and Technology, Johns Hopkins University
Provides an overview of the Smithsonian's Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation at the National Museum of American History and its Places of Invention exhibition project. Reprinted from Technology and Innovation 16, nos. 3-4 (2014): 175-185.
a companion book for the Places of Invention exhibtion at the National Museum of American History.
This peer-reviewed article provides an overview of the Smithsonian's Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation at the National Museum of American History and its Places of Invention exhibition project. Reprinted in two parts in Inventors Digest 31, nos. 2-3 (February and March 2015).
Ideologies of technological progress in the planning of the first Chinese "Eco-City"
What makes a laboratory an inventive space?
A study of cities centered on large technological projects
A Study of a pioneer in the history of technology and invention
The prospects of atomic warfare and the dispersal of cities.
Book of essays resulting from a multidisciplinary conference on the role of invention in mitigating environmental problems.
A cultural study of boundary problems in the development of modern science exhibitions.
Examination of atom bomb exhibitions at the American Museum of Science and Energy
Nobel portraits by the German photographer Peter Badge, accompanying the Smithsonian exhibition, Nobel Voices. Includes statements by the laureates and brief essays by various authors.
Collection of articles on effect of declining state budgets on national scientific and research institutions, including the work of museums and other cultural institutions.
A history of the annual meetings of science Nobelists at Lindau, Germany. Prepared to accompany the Nobel Voices exhibition.
A study of the creative influences of philosophy on German electrical theory of the 19th century. An exploration of an aspect of the scientific imagination.
Catalog for an exhibition on Nobel Laureates at the University of Aachen, Germany. Considers the effects of National Socialism on German scientists
Brief articles in the history of electricity and science.
A perspective on sponsorship issues in the mounting of a major science exhibition.
A study of contradictory tendencies in modernism toward modern science and technology.
The emergence of an academic ethos at the Smithsonian