Plan Your Visit
Welcome to the National Museum of American History! The museum’s world class collection of over 1.7 million objects helps tell the complex history of our nation.
The museum is open every day except December 25, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Admission is free and no tickets are required.
Closings and special notices:
- Dorothy's Ruby Slippers from The Wizard of Oz will be removed from display after June 12 to prepare for their re-installation in the museum's upcoming exhibition, Entertainment Nation/Nación del espectáculo, opening December 9.
- Draper Spark!Lab, Wegmans Wonderplace, and a few other areas of the museum are currently closed. View the museum map.
- Due to construction, Gunboat Philadelphia and a section of The American Presidency are temporarily closed.
For additional information, see:
- Frequently asked questions about visiting the museum
- Exhibitions on view
- Dining and shopping
The museum is located on the National Mall at Constitution Avenue, N.W., between 12th and 14th Streets, Washington, D.C. View in Google maps.
Masks are not required to visit the museum. Visitors may choose to wear a mask during their visit.
The Smithsonian has safety measures in place to protect the health of our visitors, staff, and volunteers based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local governments. We ask that all visitors, including those who have been vaccinated against COVID-19, follow these safety measures to protect everyone’s health.
What's Available During Your Visit
Currently Available Amenities
- EAT at America’s Table Cafe (Lower Level); open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Main Museum Store (1 Center) and Mall Store (2 Center); open 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Lounge; 2nd Floor, East Wing
- Learn more about available amenities
PARTIALLY CLOSED Exhibitions
FULLY CLOSED Exhibitions
- Warner Bros. Theater
- Audio Guide Rentals (but access selected audio tours to your own device for free)
After Your Visit
- Stay connected with us! @amhistorymuseum on Twitter and Instagram, or sign up for our email newsletter.